- The Tensions of Algorithmic Thinking: Automation, Intelligence and the Politics of Knowing. Bristol: Bristol University Press, 2022.
- Social Media and the Automatic Production of Memory: Classification, Ranking and the Sorting of the Past (co-authored with Ben Jacobsen). Bristol: Bristol University Press, 2021.
- The Quirks of Digital Culture. Bingley: Emerald, 2019. (A short piece outlining the approach of this book can be found here)
- Georg Simmel’s Concluding Thoughts: Worlds, Lives, Fragments. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019. (There is a short piece about the writing of this book here).
- The Data Gaze: Capitalism, Power and Perception, London: Sage, 2018. (Published in the Society & Space book series. I’ve written a piece about the process of writing this book, which can be read here).
- Metric Power, London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016. (You can listen to an interview with me about it here).
- Punk Sociology, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014. (There is an interview with me about it here).
- Popular Culture and New Media: The Politics of Circulation, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. (There is an audio interview about this book here).
- New Media: The Key Concepts (co-authored with Nicholas Gane), London: Berg/Bloomsbury, 2008. (A translated Chinese version of the book was published by Fudan University Press).